Thursday, October 2, 2008

Comment ça va?

I'm finding that music helps me learn language skills a lot faster and more intuitively than merely memorizing vocab or studying grammer. There's this great song from Coffee Break French that got stuck in my head today:

Dans la ville où j'habite
(In the town where I live)
il y a beaucoup à faire.
(there's a lot to do.)
Il y a beaucoup à voir
(There's a lot to see)
et oui, ça c'est clair.
(and yes, this is clear.)
C'est une ville sympa,
(It's a nice town)
une ville calme et tranquille.
(a calm and quiet town.)
J'aime bien où j'habite,
(I like where I live,)
j'aime bien ma petite ville.
(I like my small town.)

[Lesson 14
2/17/2008]

I was singing in the car today and for the first time, the words and the accent came natural to me. You can lesson to the lesson and the singing here. What I've posted here is only the chorus of the song, there are two other verses featured in the lesson if you are interested to learn. Just click on February in the lessons library. I also recommend subscribing to the iTunes podcast of Coffee Break French for weekly 20min lessons. Since I'm just starting out, I'm working from the first lesson in October 2007 with assumes no prior knowledge, literally "hello" and "thank you." Now I'm on lesson 14, but it doesn't mean I remember everything in between...

No comments: